Thursday, February 11, 2010

SCHOOL IS BACK

I had to smile today when a couple of students posted the following on the home page of our school web page.

DISASTER! Boring old math books, grouchy pencils, rubbers that don’t work!

ONLY KIDDING! Schools back and we’re ready to learn! New faces, exciting topics, smart boards are on, computers are activated and we are loving school!

Welcome to the new staff and students! Good luck Year Sixes! This is your last year at Freeman's Bay! Make it worthwhile! And to everyone else, make the most of your learning this year.


http://www.freemansbay.school.nz/

I reflected on what these students were actually saying. They have given a neat little comparison of how schools used to be compared with learning in the 21st century.

Many students had been on the school online learning environment (knowledge net) over the term break, reflecting on their achievements of 2009 and articulating their goals for 2010.

I think these kids are engaged, motivated and ready to get their teeth into some serious learning! Serious learning is what Freeman's Bay School is about!

I am pleased to be back at school after being on leave to complete my MEd. Its completed! I graduate in May with first class honours. Many of our teachers at Freeman's Bay School are engaging in University work. This year the papers they are doing include e-learning, coaching and mentoring, educational leadership and supporting new teachers in the profession. We also are starting a "Habits of Mind" literature circle, to study the work of Art Costa to bring more of his ideas into our classrooms. One teacher is completing her thesis for MEd this year.

While school leaders first priority is to ensure that teachers are resourced to bring the best learning outcomes for students it is important to promote learning at all levels in the school. I see part of my role as principal as being the head learner in the school. I believe that school leaders should promote learning at all levels in the school ensuring that everyone is motivated to do their best in a learning community that goes beyond the school gates. The essence of a exciting school culture is to make learning contagious - to have one idea spark another, Not only for the students but for everyone who is part of the school learning community.

This blog started as an academic exercise while I was doing a paper on e-learning as part of my study. I have decided to reinvent it as my school principal blog to connect and engage in dialogue and debate with my Freeman's Bay School community and beyond.

Its new learning for me - exciting stuff!

Cheers
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment