Saturday, April 20, 2013

Framing learning through our class online learning links on KnowledgeNET

Each teacher frames the class learning through the online class learning links pages on our online learning environment, KnowledgeNET.

Students access these at school for their collaborative  and independent learning. They can of course access this from home or anywhere they happen to be. This means that the learning framework can be accessed from any place at any time.

Generally the learning links page of each class has four areas: reading, writing, maths and learning pathways - (this is our student enquiry area).

The learning links welcome page looks like this or similar.



The students click on the links to access their work - I will show the Learning Pathways link as it is associated with the next post which shows students reflecting on their learning pathway work for the term.  On this page the teachers have framed the lessons around the student enquiry on attracting birds to the school grounds. The authentic task was  to design a bird feeder.

You can also view an article written by the students on their work on creating bird feeders on our school website.http://www.freemansbay.school.nz/article/bird-feeders/111067/21504/

You can see from the photographs and the article that the students are engaged, enriched and empowered which is our vision for learning at Freemans Bay School.

I wonder how other educators have used OLEs to frame pedagogy - in particular encouraging students to reflect on their learning and their thinking - I would be interested in your sharing and feedback.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy,

    I use a Google Site where we go through the entire learning process. Here are a few links-https://sites.google.com/a/panmurebridge.school.nz/room5-2013/art-1
    https://sites.google.com/a/panmurebridge.school.nz/room5-2013/topic-3
    I encourage students to be critical thinkers and learners. I set up questionnaires for them to fill out at the end of every unit: What did you learn? What did you find tricky? Who helped you with your learning? What would you do differently next time? I also ask them these type of questions orally during the learning process. Once the questionnaire is filled out I check the childrens' responses and it is uploaded onto their individual blogs. I also create rubrics for my class where they peer assess each other on their learning. I have done this with Inquiry Learning, especially when students present their learning back to the class in the form of a Google Presentation. Children are ranked from 1 - 4 on this rubric-that is made in a Google Document. 1 being the lowest and 4 being the highest. The assessor (another child in the class) judges the student on the content, slide layout, references, eye contact, voice level, etc. The assessor uses the highlighter tool to highlight where they think they are at. Then the assessor shares their feedback with the presenter. I find this works out extremely well and the children put the rubrics onto their blogs and write a personal reflection underneath. Here is my class blog: http://creativevoicepbs.blogspot.co.nz/
    I do enjoy this type of learning. Last year I started creating my own self and peer assessment criteria for the writing genres-using success criteria from that particular genre. The children use the smiley face criteria to determine where they are at. This is also done on a Google Document, so that they could take a screenshot of it and upload it onto their blogs. It does encourage them to take responsibility for their own learning and to identify their next learning steps. It does allow the students to take ownership for their learning and allows them to be much more independent-less reliant on me to do the proof reading and editing of their writing.
    This is what I do to encourage reflecting and thinking on the learning process in my classroom. It is an area I would like to develop further in. I enjoy this type of teaching and it sure promotes discussion and critical thinking in my classroom.

    Joy Paton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy
    I did enjoy looking at your class learning blog - I think reflection is so important. I think future focused learning is engaging, enriching and inspiring and so exciting!
    Do you upload the student posts for them or do they do them themselves and I wonder if once they have done the peer review of their peers on the rubric do they give feedback on the blog.
    We have found that we have to do a lot of teaching on how to give feedback. How do you ensure student feedback is meaningful and constructive?

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete